Friday, May 13, 2011

Thursday's Overdue Roundup

(For our recent AzureTexan Profile in Commenting, click here.)

Some favorites and a few duds from Thursday's commenting.


Favorites, in no particular order:

I laughed long and hard at this ridiculous little sequence from All Over But The Sharting in the Bartolo Colon post. I suppose at least part of my enjoyment was the where-the-hell-did-that-come-from-ness of the comment. Still, if the rule is "be funny", this comment is a smashing success.

In the Constitutional Bird post, I enjoyed this thread, featuring Tulos_Mullet, All Over But The Sharting, dont-forget-where-you-came-from-cheese-mac, and unstarred commenter KareemCheese. Nice work.

Doug Dascenzo's Only Fan left perhaps my favorite comment from Thursday in the Constitutional Bird post. I laughed aloud at this one, as well.

It looks like a few people took a swing at this idea, but Hatey McLife's mercury joke, in the Hoops Training post, was obviously the best. Nice work.

Beyond his contribution to the aforementioned thread, dont-forget-where-you-came-from-cheese-mac had a heck of a day. His meth joke in the NBA Playoffs post cracked me up, and this comment, in the Ba' Game post, was one of the day's very best. Great job today.

I was surprised this comment, in the Arthur Abraham post from Same Sad Echo, didn't draw any love today. I thought it was hysterical. He's one of the best at these silly dialogue comments.

I really enjoyed this back-and-forth between IronMikeGallego and All Over But The Sharting in the Disney post. When I finally get around to putting something together on the tricky art of replying to a joke, I will find a way to include IronMikeGallego. He's absolutely one of the very best at this.

Unstarred commenter Rare Endangered Vuvuzela had an excellent day today, first contributing this hilarious conversation joke in the Disney post, and later dropping an outstanding caption in the Ba' Game post. Both comments were promoted.

And finally, OnTheTwelfthNightOfLloydChristmas's pointed observation in the MLS Rivalry post was good for a giggle. Well done.

Total Fucking Duds

I took it a little easy again today. It helped that I skipped making any effort whatsoever to grab good or bad comments from Drew's NFL Lockout post. I thought I noticed a couple decent ones in there while reading, but as usual, the majority of gray comments were flat-out terrible, and there were innumerable conversation threads. To hell with sorting through all that shit.

Our first dud is right at the top of the Wake Up Deadspin post, from unstarred commenter BootHillBossanova. I suppose that's a reference to the LeBron/Delonte West dynamic. Whatever. It's not funny at all. So there.

Unstarred commenter BufordJustice was knocked around by the comment_ninja for the always stupid "what's the over/under" joke in the Wake Up Deadspin post. I'm trying to stay away from chronicling the behavior of the Comment Ninja Squadron (mostly because it allows me to cut down on the duds), but BufordJustice's comment makes me crazy. I realize I'm echoing the comment_ninja, but in what way is that a joke? And in what way does it make any sense? This is obviously difficult to fully understand for newer commenters, but your comments really need to be jokes, and you really can't get away with just tossing up lazy, half-formed ideas. Make your own Corleone joke, buddy.

In the NBA Playoffs post, bigredgambler used a YouTube rent-a-joke. Lazy. Make jokes.

Also in the NBA Playoffs post, blogsarefun had a totally inane internal monologue turned gray by the comment_ninja. I don't want to be this guy, but why is this person featured? I'm going back through older comments on his profile page, and there are almost no jokes in there. A lot of +1s and replies, a few snarky meta-comments, a lot of sloppy Drew-post commenting, and a fucking lot of chatter. Make jokes. Be funny. Quit devaluing the star.

Unstarred commenter Steve Grogan Bud Bowl MVP dropped this grouchy rant in the Scot Pollard post. Why? Why oh why? What is so hard to understand about the whole "be funny" thing? If you want to have a conversation about NBA coaching, fucking wait for DUAN.

Along the same lines, unstarred commenter HowardRoarkLaughed left a similarly not-funny story in the Ba' Game post. Dude, that's a perfectly interesting story, just save it for DUAN. Seriously.

And finally, in the Key to the City post, this so-bad-it's-almost-good offering from NobodysFault. Goddammit that's good. The whole "Mike Hunt" joke could work, it really could, but poor NobodysFault just steps all over it. Classic. Someday, I want a really talented Andy Kaufman-like commenter to come along, with the comedic genius to make his entire career out of so-bad-they're-good jokes. The person to pull this off would be my hero.

Okay. As soon as blogger starts functioning again, I'm adding links and boldface and dropping this thing. Any minute now . . . (7:06pm Thursday)

Happy DUAN. (Posted 4pm Friday)

3 comments:

  1. +1 to MBA
    -1 to Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can anyone explain that A Christmas Carol thing from Cheese Mac? I can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Anonymous

    I'll answer with a riddle (so as to avoid stepping on an awesome comment):

    What do Hummer-supremacists fear when they park next to a Beetle?

    ReplyDelete