Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wednesday Roundup (The Day Deadspin Went BOOM!!)

Favorites and duds from today's commenting.

Favorites, in no particular order:

I chuckled at this simple one-word gag from Gamboa Constrictor in the Marshall Henderson post. I love the simplicity - it's right there for the taking! This is one of those jokes that simultaneously makes you laugh and makes you wish you'd been quick-witted enough to get there yourself. And there's really no way I could get away with leaving this goddamn thing off the Favorites for today. Jesus. At what point does Gamboa start wishing he hadn't made the comment? He'll still be getting hits in his reply box a week from now off this thing. I like to think that's the deal with the devil that was made here. Still, it's funny. In an IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT kind of way. Also, special props to Same Sad Echo for maybe the funniest reply I've ever read. The reply is the runner-up for Comment of the Day.

Here's a somewhat goofy wordplay joke from DougExeter in the Doug Johnson post. I'm not knocking it - we do goofy around here. It's not an Idiot joke, but it's not far off, and it inspires the same slow head shake. Anyway, I certainly thought it was funny. Later, he dropped this creative offering in the Chip Kelly post, earning a round of applause. And still later, he dropped this perfectly fine comment in the USC Post-Game Brawl post, earning all manner of YOU WIN THE INTERNETZ!!1!eleven! and COTY!1! replies. It's a very good joke, and it plays perfectly among the tourists. Good work today.

I'm a bit surprised this one-liner from Eddie Murray Sparkles didn't get a little more attention. I think it's great. Deadspin commenters have a tradition of cracking jokes at the expense of broke and/or destitute celebrities and athletes, and this joke takes that angle while also reframing the content of the post. It's well-constructed and the notion that Brad Johnson pulls a rickshaw, pulls the rickshaw from the story . . . it's funny, dammit! Here's another +1.

How about this humdinger from Bring Back Anthony Mason in the ***** Van ***** post? Yowza! That's a great, great joke. I'm dumb enough that I needed a minute alone with this one, but it's a terrific pull packaged inside a hilarious delivery. Great joke. Also, my God, this is fucking hysterical. It absolutely killed me. What a day for Bring Back Anthony Mason. Two fucking killer jokes.

I almost have no choice but to make this the Comment of the Day, from RMJ=H in the Chip Kelly post. Strictly speaking, it's not really one comment. But the original "read-optional" comment and the subsequent takedown of the idiot burner are, together, instant classics. I'm really not a fan of funny, talented commenters trolling the burners, but I'm not sure that's what happened here. It looks to me like RMJ=H made a solid if unspectacular comment and had the agile wit to come right back with a hilarious follow-up when an incredibly dense person totally missed the punchline. The whole thing is a goddamn hoot. Take a bow.

Total Fucking Duds

No Duds. Well, actually, plenty of duds. But none here.

Have a great, um, day. I'll be back later with a Thursday Roundup. Thanks for your patience.

9 comments:

  1. Is there anything worse than getting a +1 from superpooperfart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know that was possible. Aside from him reflexively praising Raysism's handle.

      Delete
    2. @Gamboa: +1

      @Doug: No. That is the worst.

      @Shitehawk: Is my money no good any longer?

      Delete
    3. Did I not give you the new address? Please send all future "correspondences" [wink wink] directly to Schuster & Bowman Debt Collections, c/o Suzy "The Hammer" Thurgood.

      Delete
  2. WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU LAST NIGHT???

    All I wanted to say was "I know, people. I know." And I think most of you know that I know.

    Also, SEPPPPPPPAAARRRAAAATTTTTTE WIINNNNNDDDDOWWWWWWWWWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That guy had amazing awanus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there goes my only idea for a joke tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. As always, thanks for these wonderful recaps, Shitehawk. I must say, Wednesday felt like Christmas-fucking-morning. Gamboa, brilliant as always, and if I may, Mr. Exeter deserves some praise for bringing the funny on many a day when nobody else is. That's good hustle, pal.

    ReplyDelete