Saturday, February 2, 2013

Friday Roundup

Favorites and duds from today's commenting.

Favorites, in no particular order:

I enjoyed this smart Ed Koch joke from Lionel Osbourne in the Up With People post. It happens he's heterosexual! This joke might have been a bit obscure for some people, but I loved it, and I think we can do away with the obscurity=bad thing once and for all.

Here's a quick little sequence from RMJ=H in the Diabetes Dog post. I laughed aloud at this. And later, here's a completely ridiculous sequence in the Piggyback Bandit post. Those are both terrific. I think the Diabetes Dog one might be my favorite Favorite of the two, and I'm making it the Comment of the Day.

I liked this dig at the Cubs from TheCarlosRuizSpanishEnglishDictionary in the Orphaned Bear Cubs post. I don't know that it's "amazing" or the commenting equivalent of a "perfect game", but it's a solid pull packaged with personality. Good stuff.

Speaking of ridiculous, check out this insane sequence from BronzeHammer in the Whippit Standoff post. Holy moly. For me, the best part of this joke is the listing of 1-10 and then hitting us with 11-23 all in one line. For whatever reason, that really cracked me up.

Raysism took a shot at the Pelican lady in the Twitter Handle post, earning a big round of applause. This joke positions the reader to expect one misunderstanding, and then dumps a second, even more glorious misunderstanding on top of it at the end. I'm not sure if that counts as misdirection, but it definitely puts your expectations in one place and then hits you full force with a punchline from another angle. Great joke.

And, finally, here's a funny recontextualization from Gamboa Constrictor in the Pepper Spray post. Or is it? Is he suggesting a different sequence of events, or is he playing the dummy and using his line to reveal his misunderstanding of the content? Either way, it's funny and I laughed. Good shit.

Total Fucking Duds

This relatively light batch of Favorites has me concerned I might have somehow missed a whole shit-load of great jokes somewhere in Friday's posts. If so, I do apologize. Post any I missed down there in the Favorites, and have a kick-ass weekend. May whichever team you're rooting for win the Super Bowl tomorrow. Each and every one of you.

Keep an eye out for a Week In Review sometime today or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment